Dalnavert Museum - 61 Carlton Street

UPDATE NOVEMBER 28, 2014

Study to probe reopening Dalnavert Museum (Winnipeg Free Press November 23, 2014)

UPDATE NOVEMBER 7, 2014

Heritage Winnipeg Blog Post about the history of Dalnavert
TOWN HALL MEETING NOV. 22, 2014 - see you there!
 

UPDATE MAY 30, 2014

Dalnavert's Backers Upbeat (Winnipeg Free Press May 25, 2014)
Dalnavert Meeting to Be Held Today Despite Pullout by Candace House (Winnipeg Free Press May 23, 2014)
Candace House withdraws proposal for Dalnavert Museum (Winnipeg Free Press May 23, 2014)
Museum's Future Goes to Vote (Winnipeg Free Press May 23, 2014)
 

UPDATE MAY 6, 2014 - FRIENDS OF DALNAVERT

Friends of Dalnavert Museum Proposal
 
UPDATE MAY 5, 2014

Museums want Dalnavert's Share (Winnipeg Free Press May 1, 2014)
Candace House in tradition of Dalnavert (Winnipeg Free Press April 30, 2014)
Dalnavert - Candace House partnership sound (Winnipeg Free Press April 30, 2014)

 
UPDATE APRIL 23, 2014

"The Friends of Dalnavert say they can recruit the experts needed to keep Dalnavert a viable attraction rather than see its owner, the Manitoba Historical Society, turn over the keys to Candace House, a centre for victims of crime who have to attend to or testify at the Law Courts Building or in provincial court."

Still Hope For Dalnavert: Friends (Winnipeg Free Press)

 
UPDATE APRIL 17, 2014

"The Manitoba Historical Society has agreed to transfer Dalnavert Museum to Candace House Inc., a non-profit support centre for the victims of crime." (taken from "Dalnavert To Reopen as Support Centre", Winnipeg Free Press)

To read the full article, please click the link below:

Dalnavert To Reopen as Support Centre (Winnipeg Free Press)

 

A NATIONAL HISTORIC TREASURE - DALNAVERT MUSEUM

Sir Hugh John Macdonald, son of John A. Macdonald (Canada's first prime minister), purchased the property at 61 Carlton Street, where a home for his family was to be built and named Dalnavert. Constructed in 1895, the Dalnavert House reflects Victorian-era architectural style. Lady MacDonald sold Dalnavert after Sir Hugh John Macdonald died in 1929, and it became a boarding house until it was purchased almost 40 years later by Lakeview Developments Company. Their intention was to tear down the house and build an apartment building in its place, at which point, the Manitoba Historical Society stepped in and raised enough money to purchase the home from the company so as to preserve the home's legacy. In 1974, the Dalnavert was restored and re-opened as a museum with guided tours. In September 30, 1987, Dalnavert became a provincially designated site and became a National Historic Site in 1990. For more historic information on Dalnavert, please click here

After a surprise closure following Labor Day in September 2013, the fate of the historic Dalnavert Museum has yet to be determined. This sudden closure frustrated many of the volunteers who came to work one day only to find the doors locked without any advanced notice. Low attendance rates in conjunction with the cost to keep the museum running played a big role in the decision to close its doors. The Manitoba Historical Society has been spending these past winter months deliberating on and trying to reach an acceptable solution on how to proceed regarding this important Winnipeg landmark. For more information regarding the closing of Dalnavert, please read the following Winnipeg Free Press articles:


Historic Dalnavert Shuttered
Heritage Community Seeks to Save Dalnavert
Dalnavert Museum's Glimmer of Hope

Heritage Winnipeg along with other stakeholders have formed the Friends of Dalnavert Museum and responded to a recent request for proposals from The Manitoba Historical Society.  We are currently working to move forward to look at all options to re-open this historic and unique museum.  2014 marks the 40th anniversary of the opening of Dalnavert Museum. 

Celebrating our heritage on February 20th



Crocus Building renamed the McKim Building

Heritage Winnipeg is very pleased to announce the Crocus building, located at 211 Bannatyne Avenue, in the Exchange District, a national historic site, (formerly named the J.H. Ashdown Hardware Store) is now officially called The McKim Building, named for McKim Communications Group - www.mckimcg.ca.  For years many Winnipeggers have been waiting patiently for this historic building to be renamed.  A brand new sign is now shining high above the sidewalk on the Main Street facade. Congratulations!


McKim Communications Group Media Release - dated January 11, 2017:
McKimBldgRenaming

Links to media coverage:
CBC News
Winnipeg Sun

City of Winnipeg historical report
 

Save 514 Wellington Crescent!

This historic and stunning home has stood on the corner of Wellington Crescent and Kingsway, adjacent to St. Mary’s Academy since 1909. The home’s official name is the Gordon residence, named for its first owner James T. Gordon,  who worked in the meat packing business. It is a beautifully built home, and Winnipeg will likely never see the likes of it again if it is demolished.



It not only has great architectural value, but a rich social history, with many prominent families calling it home over the years. During the 1920s the Bawlf family, who founded the Grain Exchange owned the home, and the Grain Exchange had a huge impact on the development of Winnipeg as a City.  During the 1940s, Victor Sifton, the owner and publisher of the Winnipeg Free Press, lived in this home and until earlier this year, the home was owned by former Senator Douglas Everett who maintained it meticulously. Currently Leader Equity Partners, a Winnipeg development firm, have purchased the 107-year-old, 8,000-square-foot home, and potentially want to demolish it to build a new condo development on the property.  

Along with Heritage Winnipeg many people in the heritage community are outraged, and many of the residents of the Crescentwood Association are rallying to help save the home. Visit save514wellington.com for more information, and click here to add your name to the petition to help save this beautiful historic home.

First World War Digital Memorial Project



Aimed at acknowledging the 100th anniversary of Canada's involvement in the First World War, this project is a digitally-enhanced memorial to be housed in Winnipeg's former Union Station, VIA Rail Canada, from approximately February 2016 to November 11, 2018.

The railways of Canada have provided a long and enduring relationship to all things military, making the VIA Rail Station an appropriate location for this display. Additionally, the content will be available for broader public access on a website.

The display will recognize the major offensive battles that the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) participated in, listing the name, rank, and unit of each individual that was killed. The names will be displayed on the 100th anniversary of the month in which they lost their lives.

The names of those individuals who lost their lives in smaller engagements will also be included, with reference to the location where the individuals lost their lives.

Canada, as a dominion of the British Empire, had automatically entered the war on August 4, 1914, when Britain declared war against Germany in support of its Russian and French allies. However, at that time, the Canadian Expeditionary Force consisted of barely 3000 men. Canadians landed in France early in 1915, with Guy Dwyer becoming the first combat casualty on February 2, 1915.

Over 600 000 men and women enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War (1914-1918) as soldiers, nurses, and chaplains. At war's end, 64 944 Canadian military personnel, alongside 2000 civilians, lost their lives. An additional 149 732 were injured in the sixth deadliest conflict in world history.

Thank you to the City of Winnipeg Council for their donations, a total of $30,000 from Councillor Mayes, Councillor Dobson, Councillor Gerbasi, Councillor Sharma, Councillor Gillingham, Councillor Morantz, Councillor Patakhan, and Councillor Wyatt.

This generous donation has provided about half of the funds required to complete the project. Donations can be made using the green "Donate" link above - just specify in the memo what the donation is for, or give us a call at 204-942-2663 to let us know!

Councillors unite for First World War digital commemoration project (Metro News April 8, 2015)
First World War Memorial Gets 100% Approval (On the Line - Winnipeg October 16, 2015)


 

The Scott Block - 272 Main Street

History is not on their side (Winnipeg Free Press, July 23, 2014)
Advocacy Alert: The Scott Block at 272 Main Street (Heritage Winnipeg Blog, July 23, 2014)
HW's Annual Preservation Awards (Heritage Winnipeg, February 17, 2014)

Corticelli Pizzeria


Click image to view as a PDF. Originally published on July 3, 2014, in Issue 2, Volume 11 of The Broadcaster, West Broadway's community newspaper, found online at: http://www.westbroadway.mb.ca/broadcaster.

Selkirk Avenue Merchant's Hotel

Education key to Merchants revival (Winnipeg Free Press, July 7, 2014)
Big Boost for Merchants Corner (Winnipeg Free Press, June 30, 2014)
In Conversation with Hijab Mitra (Winnipeg Free Press, June 28, 2014)
Notorious hotel gets new life (Winnipeg Free Press, June 25, 2014)
Merchant's Hotel to be rebuilt as classrooms, affordable housing (Winnipeg Free Press, June 24, 2014)
New plan for old hotel (Winnipeg Free Press, June 17, 2014)

Historical Resources Bylaw

Winnipeg Considers Creating Heritage District (Winnipeg Sun, June 10, 2014)
A Future For Heritage Conservation (Winnipeg Free Press, June 10, 2014)
May 5 Standing Policy Committee on Downtown Development, Heritage, and Riverbank Management Agenda (City Clerks)
Historic Resources By-law Reports (City Clerks)
Heirtage-structures bylaw gets upgrade (Winnipeg Free Press)
Heritage Winnipeg praises bylaw for historic buildings (Metro News)
 

Sherbrook Pool

Update March 12, 2014 Sherbrook Pool is expected to be reopened in 2015. Congratulations to the Kinsman Club of Winnipeg for their generous donation to help re-open this historic and very valuable community asset. Community partnerships work!

A Swimmingly Good Time Will Be Had (Winnipeg Free Press)
 
 

 
Located at 381 Sherbrook Street, Sherbrook Pool officially opened in 1931 amidst The Great Depression and helped provide an escape from the troubles Canadians and Winnipegers faced at the time. Since it was the first Olympic-size pool in Winnipeg, it also served as both a training facility and a competition venue. The architecture of the building features an Art Deco style, designed by Ralph Benjamin Pratt and Donald Aynsley Ross.

For more background information on this historical facility, please consult the following documents published by the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee in 2001.

381 Sherbrook Street (Long Version)

381 Sherbrook Street (Short Version)

In November 2012, Sherbrook Pool was closed by the City due to safety issues that arose during an inspection. Upon further assessment, it was found that the cost to repair the building and make it structurally sound would cost more than $2 million, and subsequently maintaining the pool would cost even more. Despite the high costs to fix and run the pool, the community surrounding the area is advocating for its repair as a recreation centre and prefer not to see the historic pool demolished.

UPDATE:  As of December 13, 2013, Mayor Sam Katz said the City is now committed to allocating 1.7 million to re-open the Sherbrook Pool.  The commitment comes after listening to people in the community who made the case for re-investing in the aging facility. The city said the 1.7 million will allow work to begin the pool to make it safe for public use and the pool needs an estimated 2.8 million for repairs and upgrades.
Sherbrook Pool - Gets Reprieve (Winnipeg Free Press)

For previous information on the pool's closure:

Sherbrook Pool - Gets Reprieve (Winnipeg Free Press)

Sherbrook Pool -- Worth Every Cent (Winnipeg Free Press)

Public to be consulted on fate of Sherbrook Pool (Winnipeg Free Press)

Sherbrook Pool closure worries community group (CBC News)

Become a Member
Virtual Library
The Exchange District
Streetcar 356
Online Store
Doors Open

Twitter Feed

Updates from Heritage Winnipeg:


 
Join twitter conversation
 
---